Friday 15 March 2013


 
 
ALL ABOUT LITERACY                                                                                                  
Welcome to my first attempt at blogging!  As a consultant, I have been invited into many classrooms and am truly appreciative.  There are great things happening in our schools.  I have had abundant opportunities to work alongside teachers and engage in professional dialogue. Teachers have been so gracious in allowing me to try out new structures and instructional strategies in their classrooms, and I have learned so much along the way.  It is now time for me to take a risk outside the safety of the classroom walls, and enter the world of blogging! 
I'm going to focus on instructional strategies and best practice in literacy.  The definition of literacy has expanded from the ability to read, write, spell, listen and speak, to include critical, media, technological literacy and more.  Most of my posts will focus on instructional strategies that will help students become thoughtful, independent readers and thinkers. 
Inquiry is embedded within all Saskatchewan curricula.  During any inquiry students ask questions, do lots of reading and dig deep. It is important then, to explicitly teach comprehension or thinking strategies, to scaffold and help students gain meaning.  When students practice strategies to comprehend what they read, hear and see, their inquiries will take off!
  I welcome your feedback and comments.  Please share your adaptations or variations of these strategies, and what has worked for you and your students.
 
 
 

                                                                            

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment